Wednesday, January 17, 2007

It always makes me feel good to get involved in activities that will help someone. Ryan and I have done the "Homeward Bound" walk for the homeless in Indy a couple years in a row, and plan on doing that again this year. In February, there is a walk right here in Kokomo for a similar cause that I'm forming a team for.

It's called "Walk a Mile in My Shoes." It's a fundraiser for the women's shelter here in Kokomo that was opened by the Kokomo Rescue Mission a few years ago.

This particular fundraiser means a lot to me because I have had a friend who lived there with her little boy for a few months while she got on her feet. They are a Christian based organization, and really encourage their young mothers to bring their children up in a Christian setting. The girls who live there are required to attend church, they each have different "chores" in the house every day, they have a very strict curfew, and they are required to complete tutoring for their GED if they don't have a high school diploma.

Open Arms was the best thing that could've ever happened for my friend. It provided a safe place for her and her newborn son when she was released from her drug rehab. She had been addicted to crack, had been in trouble with numerous misdimeanors on her record, and lost custody of her first son because of her lifestyle. Thanks to Open arms, she has her son back, she got clean of drugs, she has a home of her own and a full time job after getting her GED while she was there. Now, she is one of the people who feels compelled to help out the community that helped her. She will be walking with Ryan and I on February 10th. She volunteers at the Kokomo Rescue Mission twice a week when her mom can watch her son. She also helped me volunteer for the United Way this year wrapping presents for the people in the mental health system here in Kokomo.


I don't want this to sound like I'm asking for donations...I'm just writing about a cause I believe in. BUT....if anyone is interested in walking with us, or donating anything, you can call the number listed on the small article below, or you can call or e-mail me when you have time.



Walk a Mile in My Shoes

Approximately 9:00 a.m. - ? Fundraiser for Open Arms, Kokomo Rescue Missions women's shelter. Individuals form teams and raise money before the event. The day of the walk, walkers meet at Kokomo Rescue Mission (corner of Mulberry and Washington) and walk a half mile to Open Arms to tour the shelter and enjoy free coffee, hot chocolate and treats before walking back to Kokomo Rescue Mission. Call 456-3838 or visit www.kokomorescuemission.org for more information.

No comments: