Sunday, February 25, 2007

Addicted to Norah Jones

Ryan bought me a CD for Christmas that I haven't been able to pull out of my CD player for nearly two months now. It's called The Little Willies. It's a bar-band style group who Norah Jones joined for their debut CD in 2006. They do several old cover songs from people such as Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, and Fred Rose. There are also a few original songs...one which is very comical..talking about finding Lou Reed cow tipping. I have totally fallen in love with this CD.
After my long term Norah Jones addiction, I decided it was time to break down and spend the money on myself to buy her new CD...and it's fantastic!!! Norah's voice is so sweet and soothing. I absolutely love everything I've ever heard her do. Plus, she plays the piano like it's a part of her. I really appreciate a talented piano player that can come into the mainstream music world and have her own sound. She doesn't try to sound like anything that would fall in the category of "top 40" music...but she's been stuck in the top 40 for years. An original sound is always such a breath of fresh air.
Anyone who is not familiar with her music should definitely take the time to become familiar with it. You will not be wasting your time.


There is a song on her new album that really caught my attention. It reminded me of how I felt during the really hard times that Michael and I went through. Her lyrics are very raw emotionally. Sometimes they can pull your heart right out of your chest............

"Wake Me Up"

by Norah Jones


Wake me up when it's over
Wake me up when it's done
When he's gone away and taken everything
Wake me up

Wake me up when the skies are clearing
When the water is still'cause
I will not watch the ships sail away so
Please say you will

If it were any other day
This wouldn't get the best of me

But today I'm not so strong
So lay me down with a sad song
And when it stops then you know
I've beenGone too long

But don't shake me awake
Don't bend me or I will break
Come find me somewhere between my dreams
With the sun on my face
I will still feel it later on
But for now I'd rather be asleep

5 comments:

KellyAnn said...

Ok reading those lyrics gave me cold chills.

*Jen* said...

I have her first cd and I really liked it. Since you are giving it such rave reviews, I might have to go and check it out!

enN2sp said...

TapeEar used to like her when she was 10 when her first CD came out.

Andrea said...

Scott Peterson loved Norah Jones...remember he gave Amber Frye a CD for her birthday. Everytime I hear her I think of that.

I do like her voice though. Never heard the whole CD. I'll have to check it out.

alli-gal said...

OOooooh.....I didn't know about the Scott Peterson thing....kinda creepy!!!