Friday, February 16, 2007

Split Lip Rayfield


With all the talk of snow and stuff, I totally forgot to post my latest concert photos.







Ryan and I went to see a band called Split Lip Rayfield last week. It was a very bittersweet show due to the fact that the lead singer (Kirk Rundstrom) is terminally ill. You can see it in his eyes in the photos I took of him.








This is Matt and Liz...a couple of our fellow Hookahheads.....................


Split Lip is what some may call a "speedgrass" band. Basically, they play bluegrass.....they just play it really fast. I really enjoy their music, although it's not something I listen to on a daily basis, it's great music to dance to!!
This is me and my friend Tish.....bet you would never guess that red is her favorite color, huh?
The show was at Birdy's in Indy. It's a small venue, but those are my favorite. I like it when I can look right into the singers' eyes, or even talk to the band when the show's over. It seems so much more personal that way...almost like they're playing in your garage or something :-)


Can you tell Ryan and Clint miss eachother???





Kirk was diagnosed with throat cancer in January 2006. At that time, the band wasn't touring. After hearing his prognosis of two to six months to live (he's still proving 'em wrong), the singer decided to get the band back on tour and basically tour until he's not physically able anymore. I'm afraid it's getting to that point for him. They stopped the show a little early so he could get back to the hotel to rest. He also sang most of his songs while sitting on a stool. That's not like him. The whole band is the kind of guys to jump all over the place all night long. So, it was kinda hard to see him like that. Like I said before, very bittersweet.

I am very thankful to be able to share a part of what Kirk loves the most, and that is playing music. I am also thankful that he has chosen to share his last few months on this earth traveling and sharing his talents with those who may have never even met him, but love him just the same.






Here's little miss Liz in her POO hat...how sweet!!!

Ryan, Matt, and Clint




This bass was really awesome...it's made out of a gas tank from something, and it's only got one string. it sounded surprisingly wonderful!!!!

It was also a great night because we were able to meet up with Clint and a couple other friends. Greggie and Tish (who you saw in the superbowl pics), and our friends Matt and Liz, that follow Ekoostik Hookah with us, met us down there, and we all had a blast dancing and singin all night long.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Is that guy playing a gas tank from a 1969 Ford pick up???? That's a riot!!

alli-gal said...

something like that....Clint can give you all the details...all I know is that it's definitely a gas tank.....