Monday, August 07, 2006

The Human Touch

Working in the medical field has taught me a lot. Not only the knowledge I need for my job, but also how to have compassion and empathy for all people at all times in their lives.

I see people through some of the most joyous and the most tragic times in their lives.

One lesson that has stood out over time is that the human touch can mean more than any words ever could at the right time.
This poem, which I found in one of my old poetry books, is a good reminder of that....

THE HUMAN TOUCH

'Tis the human touch in this world that counts,
The touch of your hand and mine,
Which means far more to the fainting heart
Than shelter and bread and wine;
For shelter is gone when the night is o'er,
And bread lasts only a day,
But the touch of the hand and the sound of the voice
Sing on in the soul always.

SPENCER MICHAEL FREE

No comments: