Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sad new to pass on to all my Grateful Dead buddies........

http://phillesh.net/

Message from Phil on 10.26.2006

What do I have in common with Rudy Giuliani, John Kerry, Bob Dole, JoeTorre, Nelson Mandela, Sean Connery, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, EmperorAkihito of Japan, General Norman Schwarzkopf, Colin Powell, QuincyJones, Roger Moore, Sydney Poitier, and Robert De Niro?

Like them, and along with thousands of other men, I have been
diagnosed with prostate cancer. Since my liver transplant, my health has been monitored by a crack team of doctors; in the course of this program, I have periodic blood tests and clinic visits. At my last clinic, my doctor noticed that myPSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) levels had increased over the lastperiod. He recommended that I see a urologist, and a biopsy confirmedthe diagnosis. I have decided to have it removed in early December with da Vinci robotic surgery. Since we've caught it very early, and it's small and slow-growing, I fully expect to have a rapid and complete recovery.

I am feeling energetic as always, and all my scheduled appearanceswill occur as planned. As you know, I urge everyone to become an organ donor to help save lives. Now, I am also urging all men: speak to your doctor abouthaving periodic regular PSA screening for early detection of prostatecancer- you may save your own life.

-PHIL

As some of you may already know, Phil was the recipient of a liver transplant a few years ago. He has looked better and better every time I have seen him lately. The prognosis sounds good, but please keep him in you prayers.....................

No comments: